Mission, Philosophy & Objectives
Dwight School Seoul provides an international education to the highest recognized academic standards. We are committed to finding and igniting the “spark of genius” in EVERY child.
Kindling their interests, we develop inquisitive, informed, self-aware, and ethical citizens who will build a better world.
- Students Develop Active, Enquiring Minds & Effective Learning Skills:
- We Strive for the Highest Educational Standards in an International Context:
- We Promote Education Beyond the Purely Academic:
- Students Develop a Sense of Responsibility & Appreciate Alternative Opinions:
- We Promote a Safe & Supportive Learning Environment so Students Thrive Educationally:
- We Promote Education as a Partnership Involving Students, Teachers & Parents:
- We Recruit, Retain & Develop Faculty Who Contribute to the Academic & Pastoral Development of Our Students:
- We Engage in Continuous Improvement:
• By fostering a positive attitude to education and life-long learning.
• By actively encouraging students to take responsibility within the learning process.
• By facilitating the development of effective study skills and their application.
• By guiding students to set personal goals to help them reach their potential.
• By encouraging students to evaluate and reflect on the information they
receive and critically analyze its relevance and application.
• By teaching students to communicate effectively and imaginatively.
• By creating the opportunity to give differing views in an atmosphere
of mutual trust, dignity and respect.
• By providing opportunities for students to develop emotionally,
physically, creatively and socially.
• By developing a culture within the school that reflects the spirit
of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
• By enabling students to understand the relevance of their learning.
• By encouraging students to appreciate that knowledge for all
learning is inter-related.
• By encouraging students to use problem-solving skills in a variety
• By ensuring that students are prepared with the necessary skills, concepts
and knowledge to be effectively involved in an ever-changing society.
• By encouraging students to make a positive contribution to the school,
local and global communities.
• By offering opportunities to enhance understanding, empathy and
involvement with a variety of social, cultural and national groups.
• By presenting opportunities to take responsibility for themselves
• By developing an awareness of the consequences of decisions
• By requiring students to uphold the virtues of academic honesty
• By developing an awareness of human achievement and aspirations
and the search for social justice.
• By promoting an awareness of environmental issues and encouraging
students to take positive action.
• By promoting a culture of peace.
• By promoting a one-school ethos, whilst recognizing the differing
needs of lower and upper school students.
• By helping students to adjust to the transient school community.
• By placing students at their appropriate grade level, taking into account continuity of education, their age, knowledge of English and intellectual
and social maturity.
• Through the provision of limited support for students with exceptional
• By maintaining facilities and resources that are appropriate for an
international education programme.
• By facilitating parents’ and students’ understanding of the purpose
and value of a holistic approach to education.
• By communicating to parents the knowledge, skills and concepts
students will be exposed to during the course of a programme.
• By providing formal and informal opportunities for three-way
• By providing parents and students with regular communication
indicating student achievement and progress.
• By providing appropriate advice and support before transferring
to the next stage of education.
• By providing opportunities and encouragement for staff to
continue their professional development.
• Through staff appraisal, identifying areas of strength and
• By cultivating an open culture in which staff are encouraged
to express ideas and opinions.
• By encouraging faculty to participate actively in the development
of the school.
• By recognizing the need to maintain a work-life balance.
• By supporting faculty through a well-equipped and maintained